“Rio+20 will be one of the most important global meetings on sustainable development in our time. At Rio, our vision must be clear: a sustainable green economy that protects the health of the environment while supporting achievement of the Millennium Development Goals through growth in income, decent work and poverty eradication.”
United Nations Secretary-General BAN Ki-Moon
The Sustainable Development aim to “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” Brundtland Commission (1987)
Rio+20 has for ambition to “define pathways to a safer, more equitable, cleaner, greener and more prosperous world for all.”
The solutions of numerous problems asked by the sustainable development – among which thoses are linked to cities, energies, water, food and ecosystems – are known.
The Seven Critical Issues that will be discussed during the summit are :
- Jobs : “Good Jobs”
- Energy : «Sustainable energy for all»
- Cities : « Sustainable cities »
- Food : « Food security and sustainable agriculture »
- Water : « Water for all »
- Oceans : (See the Ocean UN Dialogue page)
- Disasters : « Disaster-resilient Societies ».
During the Rio+20 conference, the governments will try to make it real :
- Instaure a transition toward Greener Economies, emphasizing on the eradication of the poverty.
- Protect our oceans of the overfishing, the destruction of marines ecosystems and negatives effects of the climate change.
- Make our Cities easier to live and more economical in energy
- Generalize the use of the renewable energies that enables us to reduce significantly the emissions of CO², together with the atmospherical pollution, encouraging at the same time the economic growth.
- Improve the management of the forest in order to have several advantages – Half- reduce the deferostation before 2030 could avoid the deterioration due to greenhouse gas emission approximatly around 3 700 billions dollars –
- Optimise the way we manage our water ressources, in order to promote the development and fight against the desertification